Skip to content

Who will recognize the new Lybian government?

September 15, 2011

Via New Vision:

A top-level African Union (AU) team yesterday discussed ways to press for an inclusive government in Libya, with several African countries still refusing to recognise the new leadership in Tripoli.

South African president Jacob Zuma hosted the meeting in Pretoria for the AU panel, which also included the leaders of Uganda, Mauritania, Mali and Congo-Brazzaville.

Denis Sassou Nguesso of Congo and Yoweri Museveni of Uganda attended the talks, along with Mauritania’s foreign affairs minister and Mali’s ambassador to Pretoria.

None of the leaders spoke to journalists as they entered the meeting.

Although about 20 African countries have recognised the National Transitional Council (NTC) in Libya, the AU has so far refused to do so and is instead sticking to its “roadmap” for Libya, which calls for an inclusive government in Tripoli.

South Africa’s foreign affairs minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane told reporters on Tuesday that the new government should “include all sectors and representatives of all the regions of Libya.”

Libya’s interim leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil was justice minister under fallen leader Muammar Gadaffi, but the South African minister said it was not enough.

“I don’t think if you have one or two people we would then say this is all-inclusive,” she said.

Nkoana-Mashabane insisted that the NTC knew “exactly what the AU meant by an all-inclusive interim government”.

She, however, stopped short of saying Gadaffi loyalists should be included.

The AU has, however, conceded that Gadaffi would not play any role in talks on the country’s future.

Zuma has repeatedly lashed out at NATO over the bombing that helped the rebels’ military victory in Libya.

South Africa voted for the UN resolution, imposing a no-fly zone over Libya, but accused the alliance of overstepping its mandate.

Last month, South Africa tried, but failed to use its non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council to block the release of seized Libyan assets to be used for emergency aid in the country.

South African deputy president suggested that the NATO commanders be investigated for war crimes.

Advertisements

From → Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: